Sunday, August 26, 2018

Our Next Gen Scientists

Introduction by co-Chief Scientist Scott Nooner
Scott (left) with the Next Gen Scientists
My name is Scott Nooner and I am a professor of geophysics at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Bringing students out to sea on research cruises is a very important part of my job, as I think that research cruises are a vital part of the education of young marine scientists. That is largely because being out at sea is an almost completely immersive experience, where we are often disconnected from the rest of the world for a short time. Because of that, research cruises provide a time of intense hands-on learning, discussion, and reflection, where students can spend almost all of their time thinking about and carrying out science. This allows them to gain insights and understanding into their field of study in a way that is difficult at home. Students are eager for these new and intense experiences and as a result bring a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm to the trips. As a scientist and an educator, seeing and fostering this excitement for science is the most rewarding aspect of my work.

I’ve really enjoyed interacting with the students during this cruise. It’s been great to see camaraderie grow between them as we build moorings, deploy instruments, stand watches in the Jason ROV control van, eat meals, and even during the occasional movie. I know from my own experiences that these trips can build strong friendships and collaborations in science, so it’s gratifying to play a role in that process.

Emery
I’m Emery Nolasco, I am an AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) Operations Engineer with MBARI (Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute). As an AUV Operations engineer I’m responsible for design, maintenance, and operations of the AUV. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and my background is in robotics and fabrication work.

This cruise is the first cruise that I’ve experienced working with other groups. With such close quarters you’re bound to get to know the people and work with them. This opportunity is remarkably valuable because it allows us to share ideas, exchange experiences, get new and different perspectives and network.

This is a very interesting job, but at times a dangerous one (deployment or recovery of equipment) and we have to enforce safety and watch out for each other on deck.

Overall, this trip has been inspiring and eye-opening because looking around the boat now, I see teammates working towards the same goal of understanding the unknown. Understanding this, it makes the world a little smaller and I have gained a better understanding of the great potential we have of making bounds towards accomplishing this goal.

Haley
My name is Haley Cabaniss and I’m a PhD candidate in geophysics at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). I am a physical volcanologist with a love of submarine volcanoes and sea-going science who is fortunate to be sailing with the Axial team for the second time in a row this year. While my research brings me to volcanoes all over the world—both terrestrial and submarine, my primary field site is the Axial Seamount volcano that we’re currently researching on board the R/V Kilo Moana. I am interested in using the deformation data being collected by both the uncabled bottom pressure recorders (BPRs) and bottom pressure and tilt instruments (BOTPT) cabled to the Ocean Observatories Initiative’s cabled Axial Seamount array to constrain volcano eruption forecasting models.

I enjoy sea-going research expeditions for a variety of reasons. Most notably, I love the excitement of discovery at sea. We know more about the surface of some planets than we do about the Earth’s seafloor and for this reason, every expedition provides the opportunity to discover something new and exciting. I really enjoy working with National Deep Submergence Facilities (NDSF) vehicles such as the remotely operated vehicle, Jason, which provide the opportunity to witness environments which have often times never been seen before. I also really appreciate the social side of sea-going science and the sense of community fostered by limited access to internet and the relatively small size of our floating home away from home.

Morgan

My name is Morgan Haldeman, my love of geology started early, with devouring volcano books in the youth section of the library at the age of 5. After 13 years of announcing to anyone who would listen that I would become a volcanologist when I grew up, I moved six time zones from home and began a BSc at University of Hawai'i at Hilo. There, I worked as a volunteer Ranger at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park, with the Center for the Study of Active Volcanoes as an outreach volunteer, and as a tour guide with the University’s Outdoor Ed-Venture Program.

In 2013, after two years in Hilo, I transferred to the University of Rhode Island to continue my degree. It was here that I began my love for the underwater realm of geology. My advisor brought me on board the E/V Nautilus as a data logger at Kick ‘em Jenny Volcano in 2014, and in 2015, I was aboard the R/V Roger Revelle on an expedition to study vent geochemistry in the Lau Basin. Since then, I have completely devoted my life to volcanoes, spending the last three years in Iceland studying mid-ocean ridge basalts. Now, with a Masters degree in hand, I have joined the science party aboard R/V Kilo Moana to assist Drs. Chadwick and Nooner in their study of Axial volcano.

Will
I am Will Hefner, and I am starting my second year as a research assistant for Dr. Scott Nooner as a part of the M.S. Geosciences Program at University of North Carolina Wilmington. This is my second cruise to Axial Seamount as a part of my thesis work studying seafloor deformation and fault motion associated with eruptions at Axial. By combining what we know from seafloor deformation with fault motion recorded along the summit caldera, we hope to better understand the processes that control eruptions at Axial Seamount and how fault motion is related to the deformation seen on the seafloor during an eruption.

My favorite part of the project is the chance to go out to sea each year and contribute to the long-term monitoring at Axial. Sea time is a great chance to get involved with data collection and gain a better understanding of the work that goes into studying the geology of the deep ocean. Cruise time is always an awesome experience because of the great people you meet, the cool technology on board (ROVs and AUVs), the delicious food, and the chance to get out of day to day lab work and into the field. As a geologist, the Earth is your laboratory, and I always welcome any opportunity to get out into the field, get my hands dirty, and be a part of some good old science at sea.

Audra 

I am Audra Sawyer an incoming graduate student to University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) and will be working with Dr. Nooner on the Axial Seamount project. I got my bachelors degree at Mississippi State University in geology and was interested in going into a marine geophysics field for graduate school. This is my first time on a research vessel, so this entire experience is brand new to me but incredibly awesome. This is a cool opportunity because I have been able to see everything that it takes first hand to collect the data that I will be using to do research over the next two years. I have thoroughly enjoyed numerous aspects of being at sea like meeting the crew, helping with deck work, and also getting to participate in observing dives with Jason.




Matt
My name is Matthew Cook and I’m a PhD candidate at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego. My work focuses on using bottom pressure recorders (BPR), mobile pressure recorders (MPR), and self-calibrating pressure recorders (SCPR), to measure crustal deformation at earthquake- and tsunami-generating subduction zones. We look at changes in seawater pressure, which correspond to changes in the height of the water column and the height of the seafloor. From there we do our best to separate out the tectonic signal and use the data to gain insight about geophysical processes from subduction zones to submarine volcanoes.

I’m with the science team at Axial Seamount for the second year to help conduct another MPR survey as well as deploy and recover some continuously-recording BPRs. I enjoy participating in research cruises because we are constantly pushing the boundaries of earth science and laying the groundwork for new and expanded deep ocean science. Also, the day-to-day life on ships offers different experiences than life on land and wonderful opportunities to interact with old friends and make new ones.